Wednesday, July 24, 2013

Ginger Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu

Peanut sauce could probably convince me to eat a stick.  Sadly, that's actually true.


A good peanut sauce is just so darn good.  Whenever I make peanut sauce  (because homemade is always better), I have to resist the urge to douse whatever I'm eating with it.  Chicken?  A waterfall of sauce on top.  Pasta?  There goes a lot more.  Greek yogurt with fruit?  Er... no.  But I actually did think about it.  And no, I'm not kidding.

The peanut sauce used in this recipe is some of the best I've ever made.  It's got your typical peanut flavor, which is already amazing, but then there's also the hidden zing of fresh ginger.  It takes it to a whole new level!


So I made said Ginger Peanut Sauce, and then was left with the tough decision of what exactly to do with it (because as much as I'd like to, simply pouring it on top of everything I ate didn't seem appropriate).  There is no food that's more of a blank canvas than tofu, so I figured tofu would be the perfect vehicle.

Here's what you do:  break open a package of extra firm tofu and slice it thin.  Next, you're gonna want to press the tofu to remove moisture and make the texture less spongy.  If you've got one of the fancy tofu presses, use that (I think you do that before cutting, so ignore that first step).  I, on the other hand, have no such contraption and was forced to make my own tofu press for the time being.  No problemo.  Whip out two baking sheets, a bunch of paper towels and some cans/cookbooks/heavy stuff.  Put some paper towels on one of the baking sheets, put the tofu on that, top with more paper towels and the second baking sheet.  Throw all that heavy stuff you collected on top and viola!  You're done!

Let that press for as long as you like, about an hour should be good.  Then all you've gotta do is slather you're tofu with peanut sauce, stick it in the oven, and enjoy!

Major peanut sauce love = satisfied.



Ginger Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu

  • 1 package extra firm tofu
  • 1/3 cup peanut butter
  • 2 tbsp water
  • 2 tbsp soy sauce
  • 1 tbsp rice vinegar
  • 2 tsp maple syrup
  • 1 tsp grated fresh ginger

Preheat oven to 400F.  Remove tofu from package and thinly slice.  Press tofu for at least one hour to remove moisture (directions on how to do it above).  In a cereal bowl, mix together remaining ingredients until a smooth sauce forms.  Take pressed tofu slices and dip then in peanut sauce to coat both sides.  Place coated tofu on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.  Bake in preheated oven for 15-20 minutes.  Serve Peanut Sauce Baked Tofu with grains + veggies (I served it with a grain mix and some sauteed onions, pepper, and squash)


Revisited Recipe of the Day:





Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. Dude, I would eat peanut sauce sticks, too! There is no better sauce!! Although it does look highly appealing on this tofu...perhaps sticks will have to wait ;-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I agree with all of that, Koko. The tofu tastes as good as it looks :)

      Delete
  2. I am ALL about peanut sauce, especially with tofu. This looks incredible!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Kiersten! I'm glad you like the recipe.

      Delete