Saturday, February 16, 2013

Whole Wheat English Muffins

If I learned one thing from this recipe, it's that toasted English Muffins taste really good with warm peanut butter.  Really good.


Call me crazy, but I've always overlooked English Muffins.  I mean, they're sorta boring, right?  People always put jam on them to make them good, and I'm not really a jam person, so I didn't really know what to do with them.  Well, I know now.

Two words: Peanut Butter.


Oh my god, so good.   It's all melty, and sticky, and just plain yummy.  Can you guess where all my homemade English Muffins went?

Yeah, along with all my Peanut Butter.


Ok, so let's talk about the actual recipe I'm sharing today.  It's one for Whole Wheat English Muffins.

They're tasty, they're healthy, they're surprisingly easy.  You should make them and then slather peanut butter on top.  Enough said.


Whole Wheat English Muffins

  • 1/2 cup warm water (115F)
  • 1 tbsp honey
  • 2 tsp active dry yeast
  • 2 cups spelt flour (or all purpose)
  • 3/4 cup whole wheat flour
  • 1/4 cup rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup wheat bran
  • 1 tsp coarse salt
  • 2 tsp ground flax
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • cooking spray
  • 1/4 cup cornmeal
  1. Combine warm water, honey, and yeast in a large bowl.  Let stand for 5 minutes or so, until yeast has dissolved.  In another bowl, mix together flours, oats, wheat bran, salt, and flax
  2. Add dry ingredients to bowl with yeast.  Pour buttermilk into yeast bowl.  Mix until flour is almost completely incorporated.
  3. Turn mixture onto a well floured surface and knead until a smooth ball of dough forms.  
  4. Lightly coat a large bowl with cooking spray.  Place dough in bowl, cover with a damp cloth, and let rise until doubled in size, 1-2 hours.
  5. Turn out dough onto a lightly floured surface and knead for another 1-2 minutes.  Roll out dough to a 1/2" thickness.  Use a 3-inch round cutter (I used the top of a cup) to cut out rounds of dough.  Continus to roll out and cut the scraps until all dough has been used.
  6. Place rounds on a baking sheet, cover with plastic wrap, and let rise until puffy, about 20 minutes.
  7. Heat a large griddle or 12 inch skillet over low heat.  Dust rounds with cornmeal before placing on griddle in batches of 3-4.
  8. Cook for 8-10 minutes on each side, until dry anf slightly browned.  Let cool at least 30 minutes before slicing.
  9. English muffins will keep for about a week in the fridge.
Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Lemon Zucchini Bread



Pin It!

2 comments:

  1. I always like english muffins! But I'm not really a jam person either- I would top them with butter and honey...but I loooove peanut butter. Why didn't I think of that!! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oooh, honey sounds great! And trust me, peanut butter is amazing. Completely addicting :)

      Delete