Friday, December 28, 2012

Chocolate Banana Pancake Squares

I have a confession to make... I suck at making pancakes.


It's not that I don't try, because I do.  I try really hard every single time I want to make pancakes.

But guess what?  Every single time I try to make pancakes, they turn into an ugly scramble with underbaked centers and outsides burnt to a crisp.  There's something wrong with me.

I've been trying to find a solution for a while now, and the best I've got is having a friend make them for me.  I'm a failure.


Well, used to be a failure.

I've just recently come up with a genius way to overcome my awful pancake making skills.  It's called Pancake Sqaures.  Basically, all you do is pour pancake batter into a pan and bake, instead of fry it.  It works like a charm, and I end up with a final product that I don't want to chuck in the trash can.


This particulare recipe I'm sharing today happens to be for Chocolate Banana Pancake Squares.  Because everyone knows chocolate for breakfast is the best thing ever, espeically when it's actually good for you.

I first saw this recipe on The Healthy Foodie, and instantly knew I wanted to make it.  Of course, I also knew that there was no way my pancakes would come out looking nearly as gorgeous as hers. So I improvised, and it worked great.

I now have a delicious (and breakfast worthy) Pancake Square recipe that I can't wait to share with you.


Chocolate Banana Pancake Bites - inspired by this recipe

Squares:
  • 1/2 banana, mashed
  • 1/2 cup water or milk
  • 1/2 cup egg whites
  • 1/2 cup spelt flour
  • 3/4 tsp baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp baking soda
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tsp instant coffee granules
  • pinch salt
Frosting:
  • 1/4 cup plain greek yogurt
  • 1 tbsp cocoa powder
  • 1 tbsp maple syrup, or more to taste
  • 1/4 tsp vanilla extract
Preheat oven to 375F.  Combine all ingredients for squares in a small bowl and mix well until no clumps remain.  Pour batter into a greased 8x8 square pan.  Bake for 20 minutes or until it's firm and a toothpick comes out clean. 
Meanwhile, mix together all ingredients for frosting.  When pancake batter is done baking, cut into sqaures and spread frosting over top.  Store in microwave or fridge.


Oh, and the frosting on these guys!

It's the perfect mix of tangy and chocolaty and just the slightest bit sweet.  If you spread it on the squares and then put them in the microwave for a bit, the frosting get's absorbed into the pancake a bit and turns in to this awesome yumminess.  You just have to try it!

C'mon, just make 'em!  Especially if you're a pancake murderer like me.


Revisited Recipe of the Day:

Chocolate Banana Hazelnut Butter


Pin It!

No comments:

Post a Comment