Sunday, June 3, 2012

Chickpea "Meatballs"

Guess what I'm having on meatless Monday tomorrow.

Meatballs!




No, I'm not crazy.





These so called meatballs are far from what you're used to.  With no meat, and not even a drop of dairy, I'm not even sure it's fair to call them meatballs at all.   But I did anyway, because, c'mon, who doesn't like a good oxymoron?




Chickpea "Meatballs"


You need:
1 carrot, sliced
1 (15 ounce) can chickpeas
1 cup of your favorite salsa
1 cup crushed corn flakes (or sub a different cereal)
1/2 cup whole wheat flour


What to do:
Preheat oven to 375 degrees.  Microwave carrot slices with a little water for 2 minutes.  Mash carrots and chickpeas (I always do it with a fork).  Add the salsa and corn flakes, and continue mashing until incorporated.  Add in flour.  Add more salsa is mixture is too thick, and more flour if it seems too liquidy.  Form into small balls and place onto greased cookie sheet.  Bake for 15 minutes.


I'm not kidding when i say that these are they easiest veggie meatballs ever.  Forget cutting and chopping vegetables for hours, these babies are ready in 45 minutes tops.  And might I mention they taste like the product of endless work, which, let's face it, is sort of a good thing as long as you didn't actually slave away in the kitchen all day.

 It's always nice when it appears that you did way more work that what actually happened, right?




As a side note:  Does anyone else celebrate meatless mondays?  I highly reccommend it if you don't already.  Trying to consume no meat one day a week has really opened me up to all the possibilities of vegetarian and vegan cuisine.  From tofu to quinoa, I bet you'll be surprised by all the delicious dishes you can create without using a single animal product.  It's truly amazing!
Pin It!

4 comments:

  1. I really like your blog. I'm just curious, are Monday's the only day of the week you don't eat meat? Also, do you just use natural light for all your shots?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Mondays are the only days I specifically plan to not eat meat. There are other days when things simply work out like that, though.

      And yes, I use natural lighting (or a flash for some bad ones) for every single recipe on my blog. However, if you want to see some pictures that are way better than the ones on this post, I'd take a peek at some of my more recent recipes. Thanks for stopping by!

      Delete