I was feeling like a meat eater. And most quinoa recipes are salads. Now that just wouldn't do.
So . . . i had to look extra hard for something that involved some sort of meat to fit my craving. And finally, VICTORY!
Turkey Quinoa Meatloaf
(makes 5 servings)
1/4 cup quinoa
1/2 cup water
1 teaspoon olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
1 large clove garlic, diced
1 (20 ounce) package ground turkey (there's that meat i wanted)
1 tablespoon tomato paste
2 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon ground pepper
2 tablespoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons soy sauce
1 teaspoon water
Here are the steps:
- Bring the quinoa and water to a boil in a saucepan over high heat. Reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the quinoa is tender, and all the water has been absorbed. This should take 15-20 minutes. Set aside to cool.
- Preheat an oven to 350 F.
- Heat the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Stir in the onion and garlic and cook until the onion becomes clear and translucent. Remove from heat to let cool.
- Stir the turkey, cooked quinoa, onions, tomato paste, Worcestershire sauce, egg, salt, and pepper in a large bowl until well combined. The mixture will be very moist. Shape into a loaf on a foil lined baking sheet.
- Combine the brown sugar, soy sauce, and 1 teaspoon water in a small bowl. Rub the paste over the top of the meatloaf.
- Bake in the preheated oven until no longer pink in the center, around 50 minutes. Let the meatloaf cool for 10 minutes before slicing and serving.
The original recipe comes from http://allrecipes.com. You can find it right here if you like. it's basically the same thing with just a few small differences from the recipe above.
It tasted realllllllly good.